Blackburn with Darwen Parent Partnership & Schools Choice Advice Service is committed to providing a flexible and supportive service which offers pupils, parents, carers, schools and other professionals the opportunity of working together in meeting the special educational needs of the individual pupil. In addition, the Service provides impartial, independent advice and support to parents of pupils about to undergo the transition between primary and secondary education. The Officer also provides advice and advocacy on the occasion of exclusion or other dispute with an educational provider.
The Service is a partnership between parents, carers, the VCFS and the Local Authority.
We can offer you
- Personal and confidential help
- One to one advice and support on special educational needs & school transition
- Independent information about special educational needs
- Making sense of how the educational process affects you and your child
- Advice about working with those involved with your child’s education
- Information about parents’ groups
- Access to ‘Independent Parental Support’
Your Views Matter
The Parent Partnership/Choice Advice Service listens to children, parents, carers, professionals and schools to gather ideas and share problems, opinions and views, feeding these back to Blackburn with Darwen Children’s Services and other agencies to ensure your voice is heard.
The Service operates to the standards of confidentiality and impartiality set out in its policies, which you can download or read at the link below.
Referral to the Service
- Blackburn with Darwen Parent Partnership/Choice Advice Service only takes referrals directly from parents.
- We welcome professionals recommending that parents access our service, although we do not take direct referrals from professionals without the consent of the parents.
- A parent may feel unable to make the request, in which case we recommend that the professional makes contact with the service on their behalf.
If you would like more information about the Service, please contact Philomena Strickland on 01254 583957 or 01254 503049 (direct line).
Leaflets & information to download
Right click and select save as to download these documents.
Please note that, if you cannot access the .docx files, you can download an Office Compatability Pack from Microsoft here. Once this is installed, you should be able to view these files.
- Checklist for visiting primary & secondary schools
- Guide to Appealing for a School
- Guide to attending meetings & reviews
- Guide to PPS
- Guide to Transferring to High School
- Guide to Understanding Educational Jargon
- Information on a Note in Lieu
- Information on Individual Pupil Resourcing Agreement (IPRA)
- Information on School Action, School Action Plus & Provision Mapping
- Impartiality & Confidentiality Policies
- www.educational.gov.uk – Code of Practice
- www.blackburn.gov.uk – Blackburn with Darwen Council
- www.blackburn.gov.uk – Schools & Admissions
- www.education.gov.uk – Department of Education
- www.sendist.gov.uk – Special Educational Needs Tribunal
- www.ace-ed.gov.uk – Advisory Centre for Education ‘Appealing for a School’ document
- www.cafamily.gov.uk – Advice and links on medical disorders and syndromes
- www.education.gov.uk – School Admissions Code & Regulations 2012
- www.education.gov.uk – School Admission Appeals Code 2012
- www.ofsted.gov.uk – Recent Ofsted reports